Jakarta Facts article offers some very interesting facts about Jakarta in Indonesia. Read on for Jakarta fun facts and figures.
Jakarta Fun Facts - Located on the North West Coast of Java Island, Jakarta is the capital city of Indonesia - world's largest Muslim country with 86% Muslim population. Jakarta was previously known as Sunda Kalepa, the name Jakarta was given by Japanese. The capital city is center point of country's economic, culture and politics.
Temperature in Jakarta:
January - 29°/23°C (84°/73° F);
July - 31°/23°C (88°/73° F)
Average daily High/Low °C (°F)
Time Zone in Jakarta:
+7 hours UTC (Coordinated Universal Time)
Jakarta Facts & Figures
- Jakarta is the largest city of Indonesia with more than 23 million people living in greater Jakarta.
- The national stock exchange of Indonesia, the Bank of Indonesia, and the National Monument (Tugu Monas) are some of the major landmarks in Jakarta city.
- Jakarta got Independence in 1945 from Dutch East India Company.
- The city of Jakarta offers you a perfect mixture of western architecture and traditional Indonesian culture.
- Jakarta is a well connected destination served by the Soekarno-Hatta International Airport and Halim Perdanakusuma International Airport.
- Jakarta is the largest city in terms of population in South East Asia. Its population is estimated at 8,489,910.
- Jakarta was known with following names as
Sunda Kelapa (397-1527), Jayakarta (1527-1619), Batavia (1619-1942), and Djakarta (1942-1972).
- Jakarta is a popular sports venue in Asia hosting Asian games in 1962 and Asian cup of 2007.
- Jakarta is an ideal place to start your tour for various islands of Indonesia as it is very well connected with major places in Southeast Asia.